Ryan M. Opria is a partner at Lennon, Miller, O'Connor & Bartosiewicz, PLC. He is an accomplished lawyer with over a decade of experience handling complex business matters of all sizes. He has conducted numerous domestic and international arbitrations and has litigated in both state and federal courts. He also devotes a significant part of his practice to advising businesses, professionals and entrepreneurs with respect to contract negotiations, business organization and planning, and dispute avoidance and resolution, among other issues.
Ryan is a native of the Kalamazoo area and a graduate of Yale University and the University of Michigan Law School. Prior to his return to Kalamazoo in 2007, Ryan was an Assistant General Counsel at General Reinsurance Corporation in Stamford, Connecticut (a Berkshire Hathaway company). He is also a former partner of Lord, Bissell & Brook LLP in Chicago, Illinois.
Ryan's experience gives him a comprehensive understanding of the issues which are critical to clients. He responds quickly, aggressively and cost effectively to his clients' needs. He also understands the need to balance zealous advocacy with professionalism and respect. To that end, he is committed to building and maintaining a reputation for honesty, tenacity, practicality and quality. He brings the full force of his knowledge and a tireless work ethic to bear in support of his clients' causes.
Ryan's accomplishments include the following:
- Won $1 million arbitration award for worker's compensation carrier against reinsurer who wrongfully denied claims under carve-out reinsurance agreements. Obtained all relief sought, including payment of all outstanding claims, and a finding of bad faith on the part of reinsurer.
- Won $800,000 arbitration award for Cayman Islands-based client against managing general agent and minority shareholder that failed to provide security pursuant to shareholder agreement. Obtained confirmation of award in Federal court.
- Successfully defended client in arbitration, resulting in award denying $10 million contract claim involving interpretation of complex financial terms. Obtained Federal court order confirming award and enjoining opponent from rearbitrating same issues in second arbitration.
- Successfully negotiated walk-away resolution in which opponent abandoned $3 million contract claim based on written opinion authored by Mr. Opria.
- Obtained discount for client of $1 million off $3 million claim in arbitration defending Bermuda-based client against contract claim by counterparty.
- Defended insurer facing managing general agent's claim for wrongful termination of exclusive producer agreement. Obtained favorable award denying $16 million of $19 million in requested damages and obtained indemnification from third party for remainder of the award.
- Obtained $20 million discount for client in settlement of $30 million asbestos claim brought by Bermuda-based captive insurer.
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1997
U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2007
U.S. Court of Appeals (9th Circuit), 2001
Professional and Community Organizations
State Bar of Michigan
Illinois State Bar Association
Kalamazoo County Bar Association
Kalamazoo Rotary Club